This is annoying. Despite Penryn’s launch this week, Apple still hasn’t updated the 18-month-old Mac Pro line.
Some possible explanations, collected from the internet:
- Penryn was one of Intel’s infamous “paper launches” and isn’t actually available yet. (Likely, though Intel hasn’t done that in years.)
- Apple is waiting on upcoming video card updates from ATI/AMD or NVIDIA. (Unlikely.)
- NVIDIA can’t ship the 8800 GT in enough volume yet. (Unlikely.)
- Apple is waiting until there’s more Leopard support for pro apps. (Unlikely, and mostly invalid.)
- Apple is skipping Penryn, waiting until Nehalem in 4Q ‘08 to do a more significant update. (Very unlikely.)
- Apple is screwing us to be evil. (Depends who you ask.)
When will the Mac Pro finally be updated?
- Tomorrow, because an ATI video card is coming out. (Unlikely.)
- December, because that’s supposedly the ship date for Penryn. (Unlikely.)
- January at MacWorld, because that’s a giant Mac event. (Very likely.)
- Spring, right before or at the NAB conference because it’s a pro event. (Somewhat likely.)
Not that I’ve been reading too many rumors…