Your Monkey Called:
Scrambling to find a replacement Christmas present; my coworkers inform me that a 12-month Curves membership is apparently “insensitive”.
Oh wow. Yes. Even if she wants to join a gym, do not give it as a gift. Especially that one, which is specifically marketed as weight loss instead of muscle-building or sports training, leaving absolutely no ambiguity. You can offer to pay for her membership later, at least a week after Christmas, but that’s not a gift — that’s just something nice you can do separately.
Other inappropriate gifts to get your girlfriend/fiance/wife:
- cooking paraphernalia, except specifically requested items
- home maintenance equipment, such as a vacuum cleaner
- self-improvement books
A gift says, “I think you should have this.” Think of the messages these send:
- “I think you should cook more.”
- “I think you should clean the house.”
- “I think you should work on your personality flaws.”
And your original idea:
- “I think you need to lose weight.”