I stopped reading FSJ a few months ago, but apparently I missed a lot: Apple lawyers sent a needlessly intimidating shutdown threat, attempting to get rid of the site (possibly with a buyout) the way they did to Think Secret.
They said “at least three posts were actionable”, but refused to say which ones. FSJ had to spend a huge chunk of money (for us mere mortals) to retain a lawyer to defend against this frivolous threat. The lawyer discovered which three posts they were threatening about:
- Predicting the iPhone would have one button
- Predicting the iPhone would have an SDK
- Predicting new hardware at WWDC
Apple’s lawyers claim that Fake Steve must have had inside sources and was divulging trade secrets.
Is there anyone out there who didn’t make these predictions?
I’d like the honor of being sued by Apple, too, so I hereby make the following announcements:
- Apple is releasing new hardware at MacWorld next month. It may include an update to the 16-month-old Mac Pro, especially since Intel just released the Mac Pro’s CPU successor.
- Apple is updating the iPhone sometime in 2008. Wow!
- Apple is not releasing the next version of OS X in 2008. Going out on a limb here.
Shocking! I must have inside sources!