timb in the Something Awful Forums Mac Megathread:
I “hear rumors” that the 10.5.2 ADC Seed has kexts for G92 and new Radeons. I’ve also “heard” of people getting off the shelf PC 8800 GTXs running under 10.5.2 (Mac Pro) with no modifications.
- Revealing information about ADC-distributed builds is against the NDA that all ADC members accept, so they aren’t allowed to reveal anything. SA enforces this rule, so anyone revealing ADC-confidential information will be banned. That’s why he’s “hearing rumors” about it.
- 10.5.2 is very likely to be released during MacWorld in 1.5 weeks. There’s also pretty strong speculation about a Mac Pro update.
- There isn’t much about the upcoming Mac Pro update to speculate about, with two major exceptions: motherboard chipset and video card options.
If this is correct, this seems to answer the video card question. Here’s what this is likely to mean:
- The base card (currently a 7300 GT) will be a Radeon, probably something cheap and low-end that can be small and passively cooled. I don’t know the ATI lineup enough to predict which one this will be, but based on price and heat output alone, I’ll guess an HD 2600 XT.
- The $300-ish upgrade card (currently an X1900 XT) will be an NVIDIA 8800 GT, GTS, or GTX with the new G92 core. (I’d bet on the GTS for a $300 premium, since the GT isn’t available in large quantities and the GTX is too expensive.)
- The new 8800 GTXes support EFI. If OS support for this actually makes it into the 10.5.2 release, this would mean that Mac Pro owners could buy standard PC versions of certain video cards and they’d work in OS X.
I hope this happens!