My wonderful XTi is finally beaten by this:
- 12 MP
- Live on-screen preview
- Larger viewfinder
- Larger screen
- Spot metering
- Slightly more ergonomic
- Kit will use the new image-stabilized cheap lens
- A bunch of small improvements
But there’s a significant barrier for XTi upgraders with accessories:
- Uses SD cards instead of CF. Buy all new memory.
- Uses a different battery. Buy all new batteries and chargers.
- Needs a different grip. Buy a new grip.
Seems like a nice update for new buyers to choose, but existing XTi owners aren’t really given enough compelling reasons to upgrade. (Especially if you’re a two-camera family and would have to replace everything twice.)