David inspired me to try cutting back on caffeine. Previously, I drank about 8 ounces of coffee per day — not a huge quantity, but a high frequency.
Now, it’s been about 5 days with zero caffeine. Experiences so far:
- It’s not hard to stay awake in the morning, but 3 PM really sucks.
- With the 3 PM exception, my energy level is much more even throughout the day. I don’t have the extreme lows that I’d get when the caffeine buzz wore off.
- My… final digestive processes have become more normal and less enthusiastic. (someone had to say it, I’ll be that guy this time)
- I don’t feel hyper, nervous, or tense in the early evenings (when the caffeine would previously catch up to me).
- I get tired and want to go to bed at normal times.
- There’s a lot more incentive to get enough sleep. I can’t just stay up too late at night and borrow against the next day, thinking, “I’ll just drink some coffee tomorrow and I’ll be fine.”
And here I am, going to bed at 1 AM when I have to wake up at 7. Tomorrow might suck.