I can’t stop playing this song.
The Decemberists: The Crane Wife 1 & 2 (album info and backstory)
- Kick everyone else out of the room.
- Put on amazing open-backed headphones. Turn up the volume.
- Wait 11 minutes and 20 seconds for the song to end.
Sidenote: You may be envious that I was able to post an 11:20 song into a 10 MB size limit and have it sound good. At least, if you’re a geek. Here’s my method:
- Install LameBrain, a Mac GUI for the high-quality LAME MP3 encoder.
- Calculate the highest average bitrate that will fit into 10 MB (10485760 bytes) for the song’s duration:
- (10485760 × 8 / 1000) / ((minutes × 60) + seconds)
- In this case, 11 minutes and 20 seconds, so 123.36. Round down to 123.
- Use LameBrain to transcode the file using ABR. Set an average bitrate of the number above (here, 123 kbit/s).
The resulting file should be just under 10 MB. For this song, it ended up being only 172 KB (1.6%) under the limit. And it sounds great.
Oh, and this album’s only 7 bucks. What are you waiting for?