I just realized that my game list doesn’t actually include anything that supports 4-player split-screen racing. So I did some research with this helpful site (a searchable database of Xbox and Xbox 360 games’ multiplayer capabilities).
Here are all of the racing games that support 4 players on the same console.
The left column indicates which system it’s for (360 or original Xbox). Notice how many are dark squares (original Xbox) instead of light circles (360).
That’s right, there are only two known 360 games with 4-player racing — and one of them isn’t even out yet.
Maybe I’ll bring the Wii and Mario Kart too…
Here’s what my perfect racing game would be:
- Modern or futuristic vehicles, high speeds, with fun weapons. Wipeout almost nailed this — the only shortcomings are the relative weakness of the weapons and the lack of rubber-banding to keep players relatively close to each other in multiplayer.
- Fun handling, not realistic handling. This rules out nearly every well-made modern racing game.
- 4-player split-screen. (Sorry, Wipeout.)
- 1080p support so each player has a pretty good view, even if it means dropping some scene complexity.
- Ideally available on something other than the PS3 or hand-helds. (Sorry, Wipeout.)
- Updated more than once every 5 years. (Sorry, Wipeout.)
- Not crappy.
As far as I know, this doesn’t exist.