50D or 5D Mark II, that is the question. I need some real help deciding.
While I really can’t afford a whole slew of new lenses, I really don’t want to cheap out and get a non-full-frame camera. But my XTi is just not cutting it for me any longer.
Why isn’t your XTi cutting it anymore?
- If you want Live View, the 50D is fine.
- If you want more advanced handling controls, the 50D is probably fine.
- If you want slightly better high-ISO noise performance, the 50D might be good enough.
- If you want amazing low-noise performance at high ISOs, the 50D won’t cut it.
- If you’ll ever want to shoot video, the 50D won’t cut it. (I know you have a great video camera. But you won’t always have it with you, and it can’t use your awesome SLR lenses.)
- If you want a much larger, brighter viewfinder and the largest, brightest screen on the back, the 50D won’t cut it.
- If you want Canon’s second-most-advanced handling and settings systems, the 50D won’t cut it.
- If you want the wide, uncropped field of view to use some of Canon’s best glass at its intended focal-length range, the 50D won’t cut it.
Go for the 5D Mark II. Eat the EF-S lens loss. You won’t regret it.