Here’s another solution to a problem I just had, hopefully to save future Google searchers some time. How to fix this:
- Open iChat’s Preferences.
- Under Accounts, select Server Settings.
- Try unchecking “Use SSL”, or changing the Port to 443, or both.
- Try taking iChat online again. You may not need to — if it’s this problem, it should take you online immediately.
- Take iChat back offline, go back to Preferences, Accounts, Server Settings, and click “Use Default Settings” (which changes it back to SSL and port 5190).
- Try to go online again and it should work.
It seems that Lion’s networking is still a bit finicky under 10.7.1. (This also might be the AOL servers’ fault, but probably not.)